Auto generated reminder
As a photographer, I love taking sunset photos, especially on days where the sky is absolutely extraordinary. The best of these photos are generally taken within a roughly 30 minute window prior to sunset. However, more often than not, I get distracted by other means (e.g. schoolwork/studying, cooking, etc.) and miss this window.
What it does
Automatically generates a reminder approximately an hour before sunset. No inputs are required beyond the city/state.
How I built it
I utilized python to gather the relevant data from Yahoo Weather via their developer API. I then used various dates and timer libraries to auto generate a reminder for 30 minutes prior to the start of the 30 minute "Golden Hour" window.
Challenges I ran into
Dealing with various data types (datetime, time, strings, etc.)
What's next for Golden Hour
- Setting it up so that it will repeat this the automated reminder generator on it's own every day (until you stop it)
- Monitoring how much of a footprint this script will have on the computer and finding ways to make it more efficient
- Calculating more exact times for "Golden Hour" with latitude/longitude and the sun's altitude rather than just estimating the window at 30 minutes
- Incorporate more options for better personalization (e.g. earlier reminders, sunrise golden hour reminders, etc.)
- Expand so that this can run on other operating systems as well (e.g. Mobile-iOS/Android, and Windows)