Making GitHub a lifestyle
As college students, we utilize Github mostly as a means by which to share projects for classes or in an attempt to finesse a job. However, users that are beginning their Github journey and are not enrolled in classes might find Github to be a little intimidating. Our product, Gitlit, aims to gently introduce new users to Github and creates achievements that they can collect and grow their knowledge of the platform and programming!
What it does
- Motivates daily activity on Github!
- Displays useful links to coding challenges new users can try!
- Badges and awards are provided to incentivize learning.
How we built it
- A python script scrapes information from users profile on Github and collects contribution data
- It is then fed into Gitlit, which displays their stats in a user-friendly way, which was built using HTML and CSS
Challenges we ran into
- It was our first time creating python scripts that the front-end would interact with
- First time working with GitHub API
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Making the website interactive
- Scraping website for data!
- Building on an established platform
- Having a great time getting to know each other
- First hackathon!
What we learned
- Learned how to scrape websites for data
- Connecting scripts to the front-end
What's next for Gitlit
- Creating more achievements
- Working with GitHub API further to integrate more user statistics
- Making certificates for users
- Improving Gitlit social media integration