Browse Funded Issues While You Walk.
Browse Funded Issues From Your Desk.
Get Email Intros to Repo Owners!
Gitcoin is a world where double-wins are everywhere. Earn ETH and Push Open Source Forward.
Open Source Software provides billions of dollars in economic value per year, but OSS developers do not have an opportunity to capture the value associated with their output.
Gitcoin is a tool that pushes open source forward by allowing software engineers to monetize their work in open source by:
- funding a feature, bug, or security bounty that they care about.
- tipping other github developers.
Gitcoin is based upon the Ethereum blockchain & supports Ether + all ERC20 tokens.
What it does
Gitcoin.co is live at https://gitcoin.co/explorer and has hundreds of dollars worth of bounties available today.
For the EthWaterloo hackathon, I built the Gitcoin iOS app. The Gitcoin iOS app makes it easy to navigate the Gitcoin Funded Issue Explorer by providing an easy to use mobile interface that can be used anywhere. After developers select issues that they are excited about via the mobile app, email intros are made between (1) repo maintainers & (2) developers who are interested in working for them.
How I built it
The build plan was pretty simple -- I used the Gitcoin.co API and xcode to build an iOS app :)
Challenges I ran into
There are so many smart people here, so I was always context switching between coding, demoing, and schmoozing.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- on front of r/ethereum
- number 4 on product hunt
- on (forbes.com)[https://forbes.com/sites/curtissilver/2017/09/25/gitcoin-launches-today-pushing-open-source-forward-with-cryptocurrency-bounties/]
Personally, some accomplishments I'm proud of:
- Working on something meaningful -- Pushing Open Source Forward.
- Being a community organizer in the up & coming Boulder CO startup community.
- My work has been featured in TechCrunch, CNN, Inc Magazine, The New York Times, BoingBoing, WIRED, Forbes, and TechDigest.
- I excited a startup to IAC in 2013.
- I have a loving wife, daughter, and two puppies back in Colorado.
What I learned
There are lots of smart people coming out of the Toronto and Waterloo area.
What's next for Gitcoin iOS Explorer
Being posted to the app store, lots of customer development, and maybe a companion iOS app for repo maintainers to swipe through developers.