Our team needed a survey app for recording polygons for our research team. By not finding suitable app specifically to our requirements, our developers team decided to develop indigenous mobile phone application. After using our app, we decided to update app with several changes for making it available for public on Google Play Store.
What it does
- App facilitates the user to record survey data by any of two mothods: a. 1st method: Survey by walking around the field of interest; coordinates are recorded periodically by the app itself and polygon is created after user stops the survey. All coordinates are saved in real-time database with a tag applied by user. b. 2nd method: Survey by tapping on map; user can also select different points around the field of interest on google map. Polygon is created and coordinates are saved in real-time database with the tag applied after user stops the survey.
- Not only polygons, users/surveyor can also record poly-lines by 2nd method of survey(tapping on map)
- Users can also view and delete data of any survey.
- Polygons/poly-lines can be associated with any category and sub-category, in order to organize the survey data.
- Survey data can be exported in json file format.
How we built it
App is built using Google's Flutter SDK and Google's firebase real-time database is used for data storage.
Challenges we ran into
Our biggest challenge was to develop the app "as soon as possible" for our research team, so that they can record survey data of fields on time, in best possible season of any crop. With our experience with Flutter SDK, we decided to use Flutter for the development of this app. This not only helped us in developing app in record time but we are now also able to build it for iphones within few days.
Accomplishments that we are proud of
App is being used by Remote Sensing team of National Center for Big data and Cloud computing(NCBC) UET Peshawar for recording survey data, which is then later used by research team. App is made public on Google Play Store for any surveyor to take advantage from it.
What we learned
We learned about using Google Map with polygons, poly-lines, custom-markers and connection of flutter app with fire-base real-time database. In addition to this, cloud functions are also used in order to perform some operations on cloud.
What's next for Geo Survey
- Building app for iphones
- Export survey data in several file formats e.g. (.shp, .csv)
- Survey of a single point (coordinate). We have received some requests by surveyors who need to record survey of a coordinate instead of poly-line or polygon.