As students in the COVID-era, we have to constantly deal with a changing learning environment that's changing at its fastest right now. Our goal with this project is to make it easier, quicker and simpler for us to study on a daily-basis. It was this sentiment and our conversations with other students that inspired us to build a service that generates study-tools for our perusal.
What it does
The website is supposed to do the following:
- generate flashcards based on the student's notes, which will be converted into plain text
- get notes from a URL
- convert handwritten notes to text (yet to be implemented)
How we built it
- Front-end with Angular
- IBM Watson to detect keywords and concepts to generate the flashcards
Challenges we ran into
- The front-end developer had no idea about Angular before this project.
- The back-end developer had no idea about IBM Watson and OCR before this project.
- Both of them had steep learning curves.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Learning all of it in such a short time span
- This is our first hackathon project!
What's next for GenFlash
- Improving our UI for the flashcards (we ran out of time and couldn't fully implement it to our satisfaction)
- Using OCR software to convert handwritten notes to text
- Generate mind-maps, mnemonics and other varieties of study tools