~Runners up at Fishackathon Paramaribo Suriname~
GearTracks aims at finding a preventive solution for "ghost gear", lost gear ending up in the oceans, which results in loss of thousands of dollars and damage to marine life. Instead of finding solutions after the damage has occurred we provide you with a framework to prevent the problems from even starting. While most focus on tracking and monitoring vessels we aim to track the fishing gear which is the actual source of the problem.
- GearTracks is a gear tracking and monitoring framework based on incorporating a low cost Internet of Things Solution for fisheries.
- GearTracks provides users with devices called flutters and a dashboard with which they can monitor the usage, state, and position of their fishing gear. It is built in such a way to be "set and forget" and unobtrusive to the normal fisheries process.
Flutters come in two types, one for fishnets and one for crab cages. Our prototype was built mostly from recycled products like PVC tubes and fittings combined with generally available consumables like CO2 tanks and braided high strength fish line. Flutters connect locally to their IoT gateway (raspberry pi) which also hosts the dashboard and connects to the internet.Users can locally monitor and store their data until connectivity to the internet is available where their data will be stored in the cloud.
- Building IoT firmware, full back-end infrastructure and front end stack in the time frame of 48 hours
- Physically fitting all the parts plus IoT hardware into a standard fishing buoy
- Finding solution for underwater connectivity
We are currently working on completing the first prototype of our flutters towards the first release (some miniaturization required) and the finalization of the cloud and user software.
Funding for product launch and technical support are welcomed.