When we're driving and our gas is running out, we don't want to look at our phone to find the nearest gas station. We also don't know if a mile from now there will be a cheaper gas station.
What it does
With the new OnStar technology from GM, they know where we are and where we want to go. Our app will use that information and find the nearest and cheapest gas station that we will pass along the way.
How we built it
- Get car data from GM (starting location, remaining miles, destination).
- Allow user to specify their gas station preference.
- Find all gas station along the route that is within a certain range of detour.
- Find the cheapest and nearest gas station when their gas is running out.
- Display it as a midpoint on the map where the GPS will automatically tells you to go.
Challenges we ran into
- Dealing with longitude and latitude coordinates.
- Finding API for gas dataset.
- Not getting enough sleep.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Come up with formula for the earth coordinates.
- Application actually runs and works!
- Stay awake for most of the 34 hours hacking time without coffee!!
- Eat every 3 hours ;)
What we learned
- How to utilize Google Map API.
- Earth is round, not flat.
- Sleep is optional and food can keep us awake.
What's next for gas
- Improve algorithm for finding the gas station.
- Improve response time.