Public domain is the essence of a neighborhood and determines the level of interaction and vitality of the community. Public spaces can be interpreted as neutral spaces devoid of any caste, creed and religion, thereby have the potential to incorporate equal citizen participation. We propose to activate and reclaim these spaces. By activating and re-purposing this public realm we can mitigate the social conformities. We think the urban environment is a significant strata of a city. Organization and appropriation of varied elements within it can lead to profound connectivity within neighborhoods to perpetuate a sense of ownership and belonging.
We want to use this domain as a medium to inculcate activities of educational, entrepreneurial and collaborative nature to facilitate citizen interaction within the shared spaces. It reasserts people's faith back into their cities as apparatuses of citizen empowerment and encourage them to solve social problems autonomously.
- Our system offers documentation of potential public spaces, its nature, availability, diversity and connectivity.
- The documented spaces, as a pop-up will also give quirky and otherwise facts about the particulate space, e.g. you can get the the best gol gappas of Islamabad here. Such approach will help us proliferate information about our public spaces that is not available in any guidebooks or other online portals.
- It provides an insight into projected events through an analytical algorithm.
- This allows for the user to identify, mark, propose and rate activities in public spaces of their preference.
- Once the event is created, it will be shared with the subscribed members through an automated sms service.
- The online presence of this information set creates a fun competition between neighborhoods as a means to motivate them to sustain this project.
- The system will also have ambassadors of certain neighborhoods that will monitor, evaluate and ensure smooth running of the events/interventions.
- The events will be scored based on their level of participation, interaction, connectivity and the positivity of its impact.
- The website will also have a premium version where event planners, ngo(s) and other bodies can publicize their events for a small fee. This fee will go back tot he community following the lines of the score system.
- The score system/ leader board opens an avenue for the government to get involved in terms of infrastructure renovation, maintenance and other issues related to the well being of the community.
- It will determine the impact of events and community participation and will encourage more people.
GitHub link: https://github.com/codeforpakistan/galli-muhala