The page in action (forgive my CSS)
Geese are very misunderstood creatures, and we needed something to break down the language barriers. The solution was obvious.
What it does
You can enter text in any language, and it will identify the language, tag the parts of speech, and translate it fluently into Goose. It can be displayed as text or read out loud.
How I built it
The main API I used was called the Words API, where you could send it a word and it would respond with the part of speech for that word (noun, verb, etc.). The front-end was build with HTML and CSS, and the translating was done with PHP.
Challenges I ran into
I ran into many challenges, mostly due to lack of experience and severe lack of time. I was only able to attempt to implement a small amount of the features I wanted, and most of the things I did implement ended up not working. With more time I could absolutely get this working, but trying to work with so many new APIs and technologies in a 24h time period was beyond my skill level.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
I'm proud of both coming up with the idea and getting a decent way along to getting these APIs working, as I've never properly worked with APIs before.
What I learned
I learnt a lot about working with APIs and AWS.
What's next for Gaggle Translate
I'd really like to actually finish this project. Without the time constraints I can work on getting all the parts working properly. It may seem silly to spend lots of time on a project that literally translates things to squawks, but It would be really nice to have a finished project using APIs that actually works (and hopefully looks good).