Fortum - The Green Journey
Presented by team OverDogs @ Junction
Mission: Designing a compelling service that motivates users to use on daily basis to: Monitor disaggregated energy consumption in order to save energy Understand how to move and schedule usage from peak hours to off-peak hours Empower Pekka and other Fortum customers by providing them a way to create impact for the well-being of the Earth
Fortum loyal customer: Pekka
- Pekka has been a loyal customer of Fortum for long time.
- One of the main reasons Pekka chose Fortum was for the green energy.
- Pekka loves nature and wants to do his best to keep the environment healthy for his child and the generations after him.
- Pekka has downloaded Fortum app, but is still not using it daily. Why would that be?
Why current solution is not enough for Pekka to get involved?
- Data display currently focuses on how much electricity costs and how to save money Pekka is motivated more by the environmental impact than possibility of saving couple of bucks
- There is no actions for Pekka to take in the application
- Pekka is not engaged and encouraged to use the application daily (regardless of the usage application will not change)
- Application does not invoke feelings for Pekka
- Emotional attachment is important factor when engaging customers to become active users
- Green Assistant: Provide customer confidence and knowledge
- Energy saving recommendations
- Gamification to engage customers and create impact to environment
- Point awarded for positive consumption behavior
- ‘Plant a tree’ movement
- Customer insights to encourage customers to save energy
- Consumption disaggregation
- Energy Usage Comparison
What benefits Fortum receive:
- Strengthen Fortum’s brand on green energy provision
- Increase Customer loyalty & lifetime value
- Raise awareness of clean energy generation
- Increase conversion to flexible consumption plan
- Open up opportunities for further service integration
And their customer?
- Actionable insight on energy saving
- Better consumption efficiency
- Customer satisfaction
What else down the road?
- Demand-Side Management: Fortum App opens up a portal for provider-consumer relationship in which incentive and agreement can be made for consumer power consumption
- Internet of Things: Fortum App can integrate with IoT devices, enabling smart energy consumption of home appliances.
- Consumer generated electricity: Fortum App can be utilized for control and manage electricity contributed from the user to the grid.
How did we get here
J. Kelly, W. Knottenbelt, ’Does disaggregated electricity feedback reduce domestic electricity consumption? A systematic review of the literature’, 2016
Top 10 Challenges for Electric Distribution Utilities, Steven Collier, 2015
CITYOPT - Holistic simulation and optimisation of energy systems in Smart Cities, Janne Huvilinna (HEL), Kristiina Siilin (HEL), Ha Hoang (VTT), Gabriele Santinelli (EXP), 2014
Jacucci G., Spagnolli A., Gamberini L., Chalambalakis A., Björksog C., Bertoncini M., Torstensson C., Monti P. (2009). Designing Effective feedback of Electricity Consumption for Mobile User Interfaces. PsychNology Journal, 7(3), 265 – 289. Retrieved [month] [day], [year], from www.psychnology.org.
Focus on Energy Efficiency Through Power Consumption Disaggregation, Rodrigo M. Bacurau1, Luís F. C. Duarte1 and Elnatan C. Ferreira1