Music tends to reflect the current situation in the United states, whether it is culturally or economically. Movies tend to trend the same, reflecting the current economic situation. As a Computer Science major and a Supply Chain Analytics major, this was the perfect intersection! We wanted to quantify the changing music lyrics and movie budget data from 1965-2015.
What it does
The Java program parses the CSV of the main dataset and splits it into CSVs by categories. The Java program also generates a simple song from common words. The Tableau files visualize the data and processes it.
How we built it
We used Java to read in the datasets and map them relevantly. The Java program runs the simple song generator and writes new CSV files based on word groupings. We used Tableau to visualize the data.
Challenges we ran into
- Imperfect datasets - Cells had missing data or words were not separated correctly
- Spotify too recent - We found Spotify information with more information per song but there was only data from 2017-2018.
- Excel too slow - Excel had a hard time handling the large datasets
Accomplishments that we're proud of
This was our first time doing a data analytics project. This is the first time we used Tableau for a project and we learned a lot.
What we learned
We learned how to work as a team and how to translate ideas into a graph. Visualizing data properly was a different task for both of us and it was really cool to work with the data to back up our ideas.
What's next for For Your Entertainment
- Content censoring or selection
- Generate a AI-created song using the common words
- Create playlists of specific moods and words
- Use movie drops to detect economic downturn