- The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) estimates that globally 1/3 of food produced for consumption never gets eaten by us.
- US restaurants generate an estimated 22 to 33 billion pounds of food waste each year.
- Approximately 4 to 10 percent of food purchased by restaurants is wasted before reaching the consumer.
- Food retailers (ex: cafes, fast food chains, upscale restaurants, etc.) often have unsold surplus food which they, unfortunately, have to throw away.
- Many are going hungry, especially due to the increase in unemployment rates.
🍴What it does
Foodie is an app that helps reduce food waste, educate users with data, and make food more affordable all at the same time!
We have the following features:
Notification Feature: Send users notifications when restaurants post discounts. Reminds restaurants to post near closing time.
Scanner Feature: Users can Scan receipts from restaurants or local food retailers, as well as their meals.
Review Feature: Users can rate restaurants on our app out of 5 stars & select keywords that they feel contributed to that restaurant's rating.
Food stock feature: Restaurants can post in real-time when they have discounted food items available for delivery/pickup
In the profile view, you can view your weekly statistics & your monthly-yearly carbon footprint. This data is from scan receipts & meals. When you scan receipts & meals you see the impact that the food has on the environment. The water usage and the CO2 emissions of the food are shown to the user. The CO2 emissions are displayed to the user in terms of trees required to be planted, kilometers are driven in a ca, etc. so that the user can see their impact in a quantifiable and intuitive way.
Also you can write reviews for the restaurants featured on our site. This allows for our users to not only create data but have data for other users to see & guide them to make effective and educated decisions.
- When you sign up as a restaurant you can make posts about special discounts in real-time. You can also have a stock that you can update according to inventory. You will also get notifications reminding you to post discounts, near closing time.
🛠️ How we built it
Google Docs & Draw
- I used google docs during the ideating & brainstorming phase.
- I used Google draw to map out features & MVPs.
- I made the design system & branding on Figma (color, typography, etc.).
- Then, I made wireframes.
- Lastly, I made low & high-fidelity.
😢 Challenges we ran into
- I was struggling to figure out to get elements to be fixed & scroll on Figma.
- Time constraints.
- Finding teammates.
- Wifi was going in and out
🏆 Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Completing the project that is important to the earth, despite all the challenges mentioned.
📖 What we learned
- A lot about food waste, solutions, competitors, Figma prototyping, and pitching!
🚀Future Roadmap/Business Plan
Foodie does not & will not stop at the end of this hackathon! It will continue with the help of developers & investors. So if you, judge, or hackathon participant know anyone wanting to join in the creation of an Eco-friendly app, let me know! Here's our launch plan:
- Finalize platform and data/educational functionalities.
- Initiate outbound marketing and sales.
- Leverage Gen Z & student ambassadors.
- Pilot test in colleges restaurants & fast-food retailers.
- Integrate user feedback
- Integrate new features
- Monetize further
Key Tactics (will be used during the execution in both part I & II)
- A/B testing of data features
- Gradual roll-out (test market)
- Interactive user feedback cycles