One of things that I've missed the most since quarantine started was going out to restaurants with friends. With many restaurants closed down for safety mesaures, it's even harder to go out. I wanted to build a platform where you can both make new friends and reconnect with old friends to make food in your own home.
What it does
Food and Friends allows you to login and see other people around you that are also interested in making food with others. You can form groups within a certain radius and allows users to have a virtual cooking experience.
How we built it
I used React Native for the framework of the app along with Google Cloud Platform's Firebase for authentication of users.
- User Authentication
- Realtime Database
- Stores Data and User Information
- React Native
- File Management
- Splash page hosting
- Connects users to other users
Challenges we ran into
I'm not a huge fan of React Native so this project was a way for me to start liking it more. One major challenge I faced was trying to get the chat feature up and running. It turns out that the
react-native-dialogflow package uses some native modules for iOS which I didn't have access to as I was using expo. This gave me a "Native module cannot be null." error. To fix this, I had to downgrade the
react-native-dialogflow package to an older one that was compatible with expo.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
It's functional! Many times in hackathons before I've lost motivation part way through and I didn't want to continue, but I was able to get through this one. I'm particularly proud of getting Dialogflow to work as that was a struggle.
What we learned
What's next for Food And Friends
- Updating Radar.io with the ability to calculate distance from the nearest grocery store.
- Being able to list what ingredients you have along with your friends and generate a recipe based on what you have (then you have to buy less)
- Integration with Spoonacular API to get recipes based on the ingredients you have
- Integration with Twilio so you can message friends directly through the app
- Integration of MlKit for Firebase using a food dataset so that the chat bot can interpret images and suggest recipes
- Speech-to-Text and Text-to-Speech so you can chat with your friends without having to pick up the phone