As we do a lot of WordPress stuff, we are used to be able to insert icons within the content. We wanted to solve this problem for Confluence too.
What it does
The add-on provides a nice shortcode which allows users to simple select an font icon out of three contained libs.
How we built it
Using the standard Atlassian SDK.
Challenges we ran into
- Writing add-ons for Confluence still is not as flexible as writing plugins for WordPress, especially hooking into the macro editor ;)
- The batch download of CSS/font files is annoying (and wrong as they are needed for proper content rendering) and can't be disabled (or can it?). This results in lazy loading of the icons.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Giving users the ability to improve their content using nice icons.
What we learned
- Nothing special ;)
What's next for Font Icons for Confluence
- More font libs (are you missing something?)
- Stacked icons for Font Awesome