Social Deck 1
Social Deck 2
Internal Deck 1
- People suffer from incoming data (mail and updates) overload
- People feel the need to look at everything that's entering the inbox
- The Human mind is quickly distracted, which cost loads of productivity
- Email is no Fun, work should be fun!
What it does
- Tweetdeck like feeds on Office 365 (mail) data
- Excel pivot tables (slicing and dicing) on your email/social updates.
- Ability to quickly switch focus (showing a collection of views on incoming data)
- A FocusDeck can be about Priorities, Customers, Projects and other perspectives
- A FocusDeck can have feeds that filter on mail domain, keyword, contact(s), mail properties, etc.
How I built it
- I had the idea for many years, but technology was lacking a secure (multi tenant) way to access company mail data
- Started with prototype against the O365 Universal API
- Made updates when Graph API went GA
Challenges I ran into
- The biggest problem is people have issue with trusting apps that access (read/edit/delete) their (corporate) email. When sending out invites people didn't want to trust the app. Now working on a video explaining the inner workings of the app (how we only query the API from the web client, during usage). Having the ability to get a (continues) App compliancy check from Microsoft would be very useful for start-ups to ship apps companies can trust.
- The current App Model has no ability to allow 'granular, step by step' App rights (we now need a long list of permissions from the start).
- Missing ability to query specific Outlook properties (like ability to query for Flagged items)
- The limitations on Searching AND filtering mail data (for some use cases we have to filter datasets in the web client)
- Performance (the ability to query o365 mail data and parse it in the browser
- Multi (mobile) browser support
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- It's working!
- People who see it, love it.
What I learned
- Usage of Authentication (step by step maturity of ADAL.js)
- Power and weakness of current (Microsoft Graph) API
- How people think about trusting third party apps
What's next for FocusDecks
- Granular App permissions using App model v2.0
- Support for Outlook.com using App model v2.0
- Office 365 Groups integration!
- Yammer integration