Due to COVID-19, public study areas are closed and students are studying alone with the distractions of their phones. To reduce mobile usage and emulate the feeling of accountability when studying with friends, we created an app where students can develop study habits while competing with their friends.
What it does
Students can create groups with friends where they can start a study session where all their phones will be locked for a set period of time. A pre-set number of points can be earned with each group study session. Penalty points are given out every time an individual unlocks their phone. The penalty is a subtraction from the pre-set total. At the end of the session, students get their individual score and can see which one of their friends reached for their phone and took a penalty.
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
- Collaboration across different countries
- Gamifying the group study experience
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- We're proud of everything I've been able to create in this hackathon
What I've learned
- I had never worked on a gamification project so that was a great learning experience
- iOS app design
What's next for Foci
- Making the experience richer by adding more gamification elements