We have been inspired by the status quo of large-scale epidemics that have occurred around the world in recent years. People are worried that there will be a risk of contracting the virus when travelling. This has prompted us to have the idea that everyone can travel with peace of mind and reduce the risk of infection. As a result, we made Flowish to help people avoiding peak traffic and travel with confidence.
What it does
Flowish was designed to take into account the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on travellers around the world. With Flowish software, tourists can minimize their risk of infection and get a perfect and safe travel route at the same time. Features:
- Live Foot Traffic Information: The user is able to see how busy the attractions are. They are labelled with “not busy”, “a little busy” and “busy”.
- Forecast Data of the day & Week: User can see the daily and weekly forecasts foot traffic data of the attraction through a bar chart.
- Generate Your Best Trip: Users can generate a suitable trip for a day that allows them to visit attractions in their quiet time.
- Quiet Places Recommendation: A Discovery section is provided on the main page of the app, where it contains all nearby attractions that are quiet at that time.
How we built it
We build the app using Android Studio. For the backend, we use Room database to store our data. Besttime.app API is used to get real-time foot traffic data. Google map distance matrix API is used to attain distance between users and the attraction.
Challenges we ran into
We have encountered challenges in the acquisition of real-time human traffic using Besttime.app API. We are not very familiar with calling the API using the Retrofit library and there was an issue with passing in parameters. Also sometimes the API will return errors or null values that we need to handle separately.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Three members of our team had never developed an Android application before and they don’t have much knowledge in Java. We are proud that we have successfully completed this project. We are also very happy to be able to deploy our application to help revitalize the tourism industry.
What we learned
In the process, we learnt a lot about Android application development including how to make a better UI design, how to attain data from multiple API, how to make a bar chart in Android and create dynamic views programmatically.
What's next for Flowish
- Scale up our application. Make the application work not only for Sydney but also any other places in the world
- Get images properly using an image API.
- Enable the user to generate trips not only for a day but also for a period of time
- Attain a more detailed list of attractions by increasing the size API call to e.g. get 100 attractions in Sydney instead of the 20 now.