What it does
Flintlock is an application that searches various healthcare systems using HL7 FHIR then creates Electronic Case Reports ready for submission to Public Health Agencies using the emerging Electronic Case Reporting specification: https://build.fhir.org/ig/HL7/case-reporting/index.html. After a candidate patient has been identified, the application gathers as much information as possible related to the patient and includes it in the ECR.
How we built it
We used http://hapi.fhir.org for the test data (no PHI)
Challenges we ran into
- Processing large value sets
- Validation of the FHIR content (both in and out)
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Showed that it is possible to create case reports using FHIR APIs and create output that is readily consumable by public health agencies using standards they are already implementing.
What we learned
What's next for Flintlock
- Test against EHR vendors FHIR endpoints vs. test servers and test data.
- Add security components to protect PHI, etc.
- Improve performance of data-gathering (problems, medications, etc.) for candidate patients
- Add lightweight UI to allow users to initiate report creation
- Show report data
- Show heat map based on address information using Google APIs