We are inspired by some of the great minimalistic portfolios out there, namely our Pod Leader Kunal Kushwaha with his great website. The team members also believe that what reflects us best is "simple and straightforward" - nothing too fancy, sincere, earnest, getting the job done! That is why we aim for a minimalistic design - simple and straightforward, leaving a lot of rooms for future customizations.
What it does
This website was developed using the Flask micro web framework for the Orientation Hackathon. The main pages of this personal website are the About page, the Portfolio page, the Blog page, and the Contact page. The goal is to reflect the Fellow in terms of their previous projects and their ongoing work, as showcased on the blogging section. The Fellow would be able to add new blog posts over time to log and share their progress and Fellowship experience. The blog data is stored in an SQLite database.
How we built it
We built it using the following technologies:
Challenges we ran into
- We store the blog images as binary files in the database and we didn´t know how to get them back. After doing some research we found out that we could write that binary data into a temporal file and then read this data in the html.
- We had some merge conflicts when doing the pull requests.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Buliding a Flask website on our own while contributing using Github.
- Used a database to store blog data.
- Debugging together.
- We managed our time well to both our personal lives and contributing to the project.
What we learned
- We learned Flask, Jinja and how to use Git and Github to collaboratively work on projects.
- Specifically we learned some Github best practices, such that we should use the issues tab to track tasks (to avoid conflicts and make it easy to organize), always commit on other branches to keep main clean. We also should utilize pull requests and code review heavily to achieve a great collaboration.
What's next for Flask Portfolio Pod 3.3.3 MLH
Future features we would add:
- Create new Project.
- The ability to tag labels to Blog posts.
- The ability to Like, Comment (Engagement) with Blog posts.
- Improve the look of the portfolio further.