When I was a kid, I wanted to be a ninja and a Charizard, so I combined my two childhood fantasies into a VR game in which I could be as close to the two as possible.
What it does
A hack-and-slash / FPS shooter where you assume the role of a ninja, and you can either throw flaming shurikens from your hands or shoot them from wrist guns. Survive against the attacks of magical enemies in order to collect money.
How I built it
I used Unity as the game engine, and VRTK, Newton VR, and Steam VR as the plugins for getting shuriken mechanics to work, having Oculus Touch controllers interact with the VR environment, applying correct physics to shurikens when they are thrown / shot, etc.
Challenges I ran into
Originally, Flaming Ninja VR was meant to primarily be a sword fighting game, but due to the discomfort from sword fighting, I focused the mechanics on shooting/throwing shurikens instead. Furthermore, it was quite difficult to perfect the mechanics of the shurikens and create smart AI for the enemies.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Creating smart enemy AI.
- Being able to incorporate VRTK in my project and changing its code for customized teleportation.
- Making shuriken throwing / shooting very comfortable, fun, and real-feeling.
- Changing Newton VR code to allow it to work with my project ## What I learned
- How to use Unity and incorporate VR into a Unity game
- How to make state machines for enemy AI
- How to use VRTK and Steam VR
- How to manipulate physics in Unity
- How to incorporate user feedback into the design of my game (the entire structure of my game changed from the original due to user feedback)
- How to control and create animations in Unity ## What's next for Flaming Ninja VR
- Perfecting mechanics as I receive more feedback from itch.io and Steam users.
- More levels and bosses.
- More interaction with the environment and against enemies.