After finding out that we would have access to VR goggles at this event, we wanted to see what kinds of experiences we could provide for demographics that would otherwise not be able to have these opportunities.

Before the hackathon, we consulted a local business that works with special needs. After explaining virtual reality technology, we were informed that a big concern is preparing medically sensitive children (who are often unable to leave home) for life away from home - especially in emergency situations.

FireDrillVR helps children to more easily identify common signs in buildings used for exiting in the case of a fire.

What it does

Puts the user in a building with the fire alarm going off. Navigation is achieved by following the signs to the exit.

How we built it

We used Oculus Rift, Unreal Engine, and 3ds Max.

Challenges we ran into

Downloading software took a long time at the start of the hackathon. Later on, generating bounding volumes for externally imported assets didn't work so we had to generate manual collision volumes.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Having a working game using our own assets.

What we learned

Importing external assets to Unreal Engine can cause issues and should be tested before investing time in asset creations.

What's next for FireDrillVR

Finishing and polishing the game

Built With

Share this project: