Our inspiration came from our own experience of seeing many groups not represented when it comes to STEM activities. Our team is made up of women who are on their STEM journey, many of which have participated in STEM programs before that have helped us find our niche. The STEM field has a lot of great opportunities, but unfortunately, many people are not aware of them. We wanted to create a program to condense STEM information and opportunities for underrepresented groups in one place while also making it fun!
What it does
FemSySTEM is an interactive website that brings females and non-binary individuals exploring STEM from all over the world together to our website to share their experiences with a broader community. We thought people could hunt for their educational resources and learn with the educational facts through the game but during the pandemic when people aren't able to go out, they can use the street viewer to achieve a similar experience.
How we built it
We collaborated on Repl.it and Github using HTML, CSS, JS, Bootstrap, JSON, Google Cloud API, and LinkedIn API.
Challenges we ran into
- The carousel wasn’t working properly because we are new to using Bootstrap.
- We didn't have enough time to build the chatbot to respond to different types of questions. Instead, we made it reply with various women in STEM’s historical facts.
- We had multiple bugs that broke our website multiple times and had to read through all our code.
- We couldn’t figure out the reason the game was lagging and our team didn’t have experience in JS.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Despite different project ideas, we were able to come up with a website that implemented everyone’s ideas together.
- We were able to implement many back-end features like API that we weren’t familiar with to add to our idea.
- We were able to help in each other’s errors and not be afraid to reach out for help among each other and also the mentors.
What we learned
- How to integrate back-end and use new resources such as Bootstrap, Microsoft Paint to design game characters.
- History of women and their contributions to the STEM field.
What's next for FemSySTEM
- Develop chatbot into an AI
- Adding more resources to the map
- Interactive charts that work in real-time