As a computer science tutor, I've always looked up to Sal Khan and his work with KhanAcademy. I wanted to do something similar: create a platform that makes it easy for Computer Science educators to create online classes. And on top of that, as a game development enthusiast, I've always wanted to make my own game dev course.
What it does
Uses Firebase & GitHub Pages to host a configurable online class, with features for unit testing, graphic displays, and in-browser code editing. As an addition, we also made a sample game dev course, which will teach some of the basics of game development, and dive into the tech stack that we've explored in past hackathons.
How I built it
- Ace Editor
- GitHub Pages
Challenges I ran into
- Getting the scripts & content from the in-browser editor to a display/tester was non-trivial; we had to set up a Heroku server with the Firebase Admin SDK
- Coming up with a scalable & configurable architecture for the project was incredibly difficult, the first 24 hours were spent mostly on coming up with ideas
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- First time using Firebase Authentication in a project
What I learned
- How to use Firebase Authentication and the Admin SDK
- How to edit a MasterClass style video
What's next for FasterClass
- More game development content! We plan to use the tool for hackathon workshops at our own universities