John Deere "Operations Center" web application. Set up an account with sample field operation data.
Extracted the satellite image layers using John Deere Precision Ag APIs.
Developed an environment in Unity to layout/overlap different field operation data heatmaps.
Modeled the data by extruding cubes vertically based off of pixel color values.
Wanted to work with John Deere Precision Ag APIs, also had a Quest 2 virtual reality headset at our disposal. The API provided satellite image layers which we thought could be nicely modeled in a 3D environment.
What it does
Models field operation data representing various measurements (Moisture levels, Harvest yield, etc.) in an interactive VR environment.
How we built it
1) Created an Operations Center account and acquired John Deere sample operational data
2) Used Postman to collect data from several fields by utilizing Deere Precision Ag APIs
3) Created a 3D environment in Unity to overlay heatmaps onto satellite imagery & incorporated interactivity
4) Modeled data in 3D by extruding cubes vertically depending on each pixel color value.
5) Built & ran project on Oculus Quest 2 VR headset
Challenges we ran into
- Didn't have access to some APIs for certain requests
- Difficulty configuring VR headset to a laptop with a graphics card that meets specifications
- Security issues with API authorization
- Learning curve of scripting in C#
Accomplishments that we're proud of
It was our first time working with Unity and C#. It was our second hackathon and the first time for one of our members. Creating an algorithm to display the 3D data levels in VR based off of the heat map we give it.
What we learned
We learned a lot about working with Unity, and C# as a language. We learned how to work as a team efficiently, dividing problems and working on them individually, and helping each other when needed.
What's next for FarmVision
- Incorporating real-time API calls into the VR simulation for scalability
- Create 3D dashboard panels in VR to visualize more data from other Precision Ag APIs
- Incorporate AI/ML for operational data analysis