Inspired by Animal Crossing and the desktop goose, we wanted to make something cute and related to animals. This chrome extension focus on health and wellness, providing a platform for you to relax and destress.
FARMily - Farm/Fam, I love you.
🔍 What it does
It is a virtual pet to help you through your lonely study sessions! It has 5 main features:
- Pomodoro Timer:
- A pomodoro timer to help you stay focused while working, and also remind you to stand up and take breaks from your computer every now and then!
- Food & Water Reminder:
- A countdown timer to remind you to feed and hydrate your animal companion, and yourself as well!
- Get some quick motivational quotes, jokes or tips to help you stay happy and productive!
- Select Friend:
- An animal companion and give them a personalized name, which will appear in the Food and Water reminder component!
- Free Roam:
- Unleash your animal friends and let them free roam around the web page! Serotonin guaranteed!
🔧 How we built it
We made a chrome extension using
🏃♂️ Challenges we ran into
- It was our first time creating a chrome extension, and we did not know how it worked or what chrome extensions were capable of. There was a lot of trial and error to get the extension running
- The chrome extension manifest version had been updated to 3.0 and many of the tutorials we tried to refer to used 2.0. It was a bit confusing which version the documentation was referring to.
- [Nikhila] it’s her first hack! :D it was her first time using vanilla JS, HTML, CSS
- Unfortunately, we were unable to officially publish the extension as that is blocked by a paywall. You can still install the extension using the files from our Github
🏅 Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We made our first chrome extension!
- It’s Nikhila’s first hack!
- And we think she did great. :)
🧠 What we learned
- We learned how to create a chrome extension
- We learned how to create shimeji type characters that could freely roam the screen outside the confines of the popup!
- We also learned how to make timers and save variables to local storage to have persistent memory in the components
- We learned how to style and customize the extension to make it look nice
- Pixilart for pixel art
⏭️ What's next for FARMily <3
- We would like to improve the UI and UX
- add chill music for users to take a break
- add more interactions with the farm animals
- add more farm animals to choose from
- able to share current progress with friends
- have mini games that are simple but fun
- have our own exclusive online badges