Fake news has existed since the dawn of the printing press but in the age of internet and
social media, it has found a tremendous application. Manipulation of algorithms of social
media and search engines—to reach large audiences and mislead news consumers is a
global trend now.
Fact-Checker is an attempt to minimize the fake news that enters social media.
What it does
Fact-Checker is an end-to-end client-sever application that acts as a platform between journalist students and people who want to get their news checked before posting on social media platforms.
It provides different functionalities to both parties. for general people :
- Ability to create news information that requires verification.
- View the feedback and credibility rating provided by the journalist students.
for the journalist students:
- See active news information and join any project.
- Rate and comment on any news info.
- See the number of people are working on a news project.
How we built it
Fact-Checker is a 3 tier application build using the MERN stack. the following technologies were used for the application:
- React (Client-side Library)
- Node (web server)
- Express (http framework)
- MongoDB (database)
- mongoose (odm)
Challenges we ran into
- Time constrain
- Adding videos as a part of news information.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Fully functional end-to-end application with a beautiful UI :)
What we learned
- Team work
- Idea pooling
What's next for Fact Checker
- Adding support for video
- Building an AI model and train it using the responses from the journalists
- Scale the application