In a time of instability Ad Astra aims to provide empowerment to humans going through a refugee experience. In September 2021, major companies in the United States committed to hiring and training Afghan refugees. Feeling accepted as well as integrated in society is important in refugees feeling empowered. We wanted to create a comprehensive platform where refugees could search for job openings without the hassle of going through many different job search engines. A platform where refugees could find careers specifically catered towards their needs.
What it does
Ad Astra is a React Web App that allows employers to list job postings open specifically for refugees. Refugees are able to find careers specifically designed for their experience.
How we built it
We built a React Web App for the front end and Firebase functions for the backend.
Challenges we ran into
- Connecting our React web app to the Firebase database
- Multiple team members were new to React and database integration
- Changing tracks/ideas multiple times throughout the hackathon
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Creating an idea that we believe would empower the integration of refugees
- Learning React and Firebase together as a team!
What we learned
- Firebase integration with a React Web App
- How to quickly change ideas and infrastructure
What's next for Ad Astra
- Including verification and sanitization of data input by employers