EDIT: (Originally submitted as "Event Microsite Theme", now "Conference Theme")
EDIT: Second Place Prize Winner!
I'm a freelance HubSpot CMS Developer and have always wanted to build a theme for the HubSpot Marketplace so I'm excited to be submitting this one!
When I first set out to design this theme in October 2021, I found there were few event templates in the marketplace so I thought it would be a good problem to solve. I believe there are a couple now but aesthetically different to mine!
What it does
This theme is designed to build an event microsite for conferences, courses, summits, webinar series, trade shows, etc.
It consists of several templates:
- Agenda Item
- Blog (Listings and Post)
- Landing Page
and about 25 custom modules that can be configured into plenty more layouts.
How I built it
I began by researching dozens of event websites and made a long list of possible content and features that users might want to add. I narrowed the list down and wrote the content for each page, then created rough layouts for each one.
The next step was to establish the design system in Figma: typography, colour palette, spacing system, components like buttons, forms… etc. I mapped that to the above layouts, added some design pizzazz and had my website design.
I started by coding the basics (typography, colours, default modules… etc.) and then built any custom modules required. With the design elements and modules in place, building the templates was quick!
Challenges I ran into
- New best practices: I've been on maternity leave since March 2021 so the boilerplate and best practices have changed a little. For example, the way you nest fields in custom modules, and the new styling tab. I had to adjust my usual process and redo a few modules.
- Time: I initially thought I'd have plenty of time, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. The deadline crept up so quickly!
- Building for a wider audience: I typically build themes for specific clients with specific use cases whereas in this case, I had to design the theme for a wider audience.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
Getting it done. I'm still on maternity leave so I've been taking advantage of any nap, evening or night I could find to finish this theme!
A couple of features I'm proud of:
- The design is very in line with the type of modern, clean, tech aesthetic that I like and I think it looks pretty good!
- Incorporating schema into the blog post, agenda and accordion.
- Some of the modules were fun to design and build, my favourites being: Large Agenda Item Card, Blog Posts and the Slider.
What's next for HubSpot Event Microsite Theme
This is just version 1.0! I'd love to add more sections, create new custom modules (e.g. testimonials), templates (e.g. a registration template, potentially using HubSpot's new payment features), add more styling fields to custom modules... etc.
In the next couple of weeks, I'll also write some comprehensive documentation before it hits the marketplace with “Getting Started” tutorials and a list of FAQs.