To be the trusted personal shopping assistant enabling smart and quick product purchasing decision based on individual needs and preferences.
Real life was the inspiration for the idea behind this project. We tell the story using the fictional student Maxine Cannotcook:
- Maxine has very simple eating habits and knows how to cook three different meals which he switches up on a regular basis (spaghetti, ricasimir, schnitzel).
- Maxine does not have the time to research on how to cook different meals / healthier meals/ more sustainable meals and does not know whats inside the product (nutritiens, etc.).
- Maxine spends a lot of time in front of the shelf analysing and comparing different products.
- He is curious about alternatives and tries to compare different options, but it is too complicated, overwhelming, time consuming and frustrating because everything looks the same.
- Maxine wastes time comparing different objects, but ends up buying always the same products.
- More satisfied customers
- Quicker decision making
- Better cover to individual needs
- Solve to paradox of choice: more choices do not result in more sales.
- Health choices
What it does
M-power YOU is a trusted personal shopping assistant enabling smart and quick product purchasing decision based on individual needs and preferences:
- it makes recommendations based on health goals, sustainability goals, nutrients, allergies, carbon footprint and price;
- provides a recipe book to search and explore new recipes;
- analyses previous purchases and recommendations to improve future purchases to better match your profile.
How I built it
We decided to use
Ruby on Rails for the backend to interact with the Migros API and
React Native for the frontend. We picked
React Native to be able to develop one implementation for multiple platforms (iOS, Android, ...). We used
Figma for designs and mockup of the app interfaces.
Challenges I ran into
Build a prototype from scratch using new (for us) technologies in a limited amount of time.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
Didn't spill coffee on our laptops!
What I learned
New technologies (Ruby on Rails, React Native).
What's next for M-power YOU
Further develop the product and integrate it with existing Migros technological offering (website, scandit system, ...).