Inspiration

It can be intimidating for anyone, but especially women, to walk alone in a city or even across campus.

We know 63.84% of rapes are by someone the victim is intimately involved with, but that still leaves 36.16% who are attacked by strangers or less well known people (National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey 2010). 18% of rapes and sexual assaults take place in a public area, such as a commercial venue, parking lot, or park and 43% of rapes occur between 6:00pm and midnight. (U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Statistics. 1997 Sex Offenses and Offenders Study. 1997). As of 2012, women were more than twice as likely as men to say they were afraid to walk in their neighborhoods at night alone (2012 General Social Survey). While there is little data to say "Y amount of women plan their perceived safest route home" or even "x/y women base their daily outfits to be dependent on where they are going and with whom", almost all women have at some point, if not daily, felt this dark shadow.

Our goal was to make the walking experience more positive and safer for all those who want the option to walk to their destinations.

How it works

A user can login to the app and enter a destination. Our map shows the neighborhood the user wants to walk through. Without revealing the users location to each other, they can communicate via text message through our app and decide to meet up and embark on a walking route together. At the end of the walk, the users can rate each other on Friendliness and Safety factor. Users are only allowed on the site if they are invited by a friend and submit their invite code.

Share this project:
×

Updates