Girls in Tech Mental Health for All Hackathon
Embrace MVP self-help tool for compassion, healing and strength.
I transitioned careers in January 2020 - after working in digital media communications for 6 years, the close of 2019, my work environment had become toxic. I doubted my skills and despite building an organisation from 2 people to nine and from one country to two, I had lost confidence in myself. I knew I wanted different and enrolled for a Full Stack Development bootcamp in Barcelona Spain. In January of 2020 , I left my husband and 3 kids ( two teens and a pre teen) to go learn a new skill and find myself. I had come across the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, this helped me journal my way back to believing in myself. I am now in Season 7 of a 12 week sprint, I am more confident and can process my thoughts and emotions in the written word and reading about other women who have succeed after had times and doubt. The application is therefore a companion for anyone who is after self care and also finding others in the same boat.
What it does
- Allows a user to create a profile
- Journal their thoughts
- Give daily gratitude
- Write and read other peoples fail-up stories
- Chat with other persons like them
- Have daily meditations
- Meet new friends with common interests.
- Get professional help.
How we built it
- Broke down the journey to self belief into activities.
- Designed the app wireframes.
Challenges we ran into
- Finding out about the challenge by accident with only a couple of days left before the deadline.
- Building a mobile app with little experience in the technology used ( React Native)
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Coming up with a concept based on experience.
- Creating the app wireframes
What we learned
- All it takes is putting in the work.
- Use boilerplate code to start project, it saves time and effort.
What's next for Embrace
- Completing the app MVP
- Styling the app for better UX
- Creating the DB
- Testing with users
- Incorporate education as part of the self help process because without knowledge and awareness change is not possible.