Radiology and EHR Portal utilizing UIPath Tools, Python Snippets for data conversion from png to dicom, report builds, clinical evaluation
Query operation completed successfully, verified using Ethereum blockchain and Metamask, Ganache
3. Ganache server for handling Ethereum network and ETH transactions
Completion of successful transaction.
Transaction confirmed. ETH consumed. Number of blocks increased by 1
OCR feature in UIPath Automation tools for extracting data
OCR tool in UI Path Automation Suite in action
EHR (Electronic Health Records) Need in India: The current status of the healthcare sector in India is associated with low public spending (1% of GDP), high out of pocket payments (71%), a high level of anemia among young women (56%), high infant mortality (47/1,000 live births), high maternal mortality (212/100,000 live births).
This highlights the need for major reforms in the healthcare sector. Though information and communication technology (ICT) cannot work as a panacea, it can provide a cost-effective solution to improve the quality and coverage.
Indian doctors are in the process of adopting electric health/medical records maintenance online. It not only gives complete information about the patient, about his previous medical history, and also saves time while providing treatment, as going through the medical record doctor can get in to fast conclusion on what treatment to provide immediately. Indian government is taking consideration into maintenance of health records online.
The proliferation of mobile phones and the availability of high-speed Internet offer the possibilities to provide healthcare services in rural, remote areas of the country.
UIPath Automation Suite brings in a variety of tools that when integrated with EHR platform can enable the effective delivery of quality healthcare at speed and help reduce the maintenance costs of record keeping, enable better care coordination.
Our Vision and Goals
Our vision is to carry out research on new EHR (Electronic Health Records) models that incorporate technology and which aims at revolutionizing the medical scene around the world. EHRs is a technology solution designed specifically to address the needs of the medical eco-system comprising of hospitals, medical laboratories, patients, diagnostic labs, R&D organizations and improve the operational efficiencies.
Just in Time service: Availability of patient’s medical records, genome data across different stakeholder through secure blockchain network. The speed of extract, transform and load operation can be facilitated using UIPath Tools.
Record Management: Quality documentation reduces the issues regarding prescription of incorrect medicines.
Research: Research laboratories can use the data for computer-aided diagnosis of diseases, suggesting personalized care to patients.
Web Application: Cloud-based web application with a material design application linking to GenomeLink API for quick medical attention.
Transparency: Insurance agencies can utilize the data to provide customized health insurance plans to the customer. Personal dietary consultants can provide better food and nutrition plans for the speedy recovery of patients.
Better Cure: Journal of medical records covering complete patient history and Genome data using GenomeLink API improve the cure outcomes.
Technology and Implementation
We engineered and developed cutting edge technology on ethereum blockchain network using NuCypher protocol, GenomeLink API, open source spreadsheet, open source PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication Systems) solution and facilitated extract, transform and load, automation operations using UIPath Tools and Automation Suite:
Creation of radiology files in DICOM format, examination reports and patient’s medical records from hospital visits. DICOM stands for Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine. This file format is created to distribute and view medical images using a standardized file format. We utilize UIPath Tools and integrate with EHRS platform for improved care coordination, cost effective maintenance of records and faster process management.
Cleansing and validation of in-bound patient data available as medical images and examination reports. This process is further expedited using UIPath Snippets writing in Python.
Authentication, authorization using unique SSN (social security number) for legitimately storing the medical records.
EHR movement across different hospitals, laboratories, pharmacies on requirement basis using:
i) ORTHANC as an open source and light weight DICOM server for medical imaging, querying and retrieving patient’s data and radiology reports from a medical institution. We utilize Python UIPath Snippets for enhancing the operations with Orthanc.
ii) An inbound web application for viewing medical examination reports and patient records.
iii) UIPath Python Snippets for enabling the conversion of png to dicom and enable faster movement across hospitals and diagnostic labs.
Our blockchain solution, EHR as a service, can help in:
Legitimate storage of medical records, invoices using open source PACS and IPFS for storage and react based spreadsheet application. We utilize UIPath Tools, Python Snippets and integrate with EHRS platform for effective maintenance of records.
Records movement in a secure way using NuCypher Re-encryption Protocol, Query and Retrieve application on bootstrap and Orthanc DICOM open source solution. We utilize UIPath Tools, Python Snippets and integrate with EHRS platform for improved care coordination and faster process management.
Preventive treatment and remediation by studying the Genome using the GenomeLink API.
EHRs can help in data cleansing, creating EHR, records legibility and coordination with hospitals, pharmacies, diagnostic clinics, in case when movement of records is needed. The EHR application can be accessible using Internet browser, all the data is on the cloud. Motivational benefits of our solution include -
- Patient information can be secured and shared anywhere at any time with help of EHR.
- Staff and clinicians can make the direct entry, reduces transcription cost.
- Quality documentation can be maintained (perceptible, readable, records, reports and charts).
- Reduce the issues of prescription of incorrect medicines.
- Complete patient history records improve the cure outcomes. These systems greatly enables the physician for immediate patient treatment by capturing the key records. EHR records are the key data for implementing the clinical decision support system.
Utilizing UIPath Tools, Python Snippets with EHRS platform can enable improved care coordination, cost effective maintenance of records and faster process management for cost effective healthcare delivery.
- Make instant appointments with a doctor and get quick access to e-records.
- Computer-aided detection will help in early prediction and diagnosis of diseases.
b. Doctors and Hospitals
- Prioritize and handle appointments better.
- Issue prescriptions
- Coordinate with specialists.
- Access to accurate records.
- Improved care.
- Better dietary feedback based on genomelink API
c. Administrator and Insurers
- Connect all stakeholders
- Personalize care treatment.
- Accurate and timely payments
- Reduce the cost of centralized systems
- Administer Benefit.
- Reduce healthcare costs.
- Reward employees
- Offer affordable benefit packages.
- Better diet and food programs at offices.
e. Research Institutions
- Computer-aided detection of diseases and development of prevention models.
- Personalized medicine and drug discovery practice.
Challenges we ran into
We wish to mention that integrating and sending medical reports using NuCypher protocol required lot of mentorship from Bogdan Opanchuk and Dr. Michael from NuCypher. They helped us at every step of implementing NuCypher whether it was installing the correct versions of requisite libraries and tools and helping us running the re-encryption protocol. We wish to thank the EthIndia community and fellow participant hackers, who helped us learn and implement our idea in a fine way. We also spend a number of hours trying to learn effective ways of utilizing UIPath Tools, Python Snippets with EHRS platform to enable improved care coordination, cost effective maintenance of records and faster process management for cost effective healthcare delivery. We found the Edureka tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/user/edurekaIN) helpful in building our confidence on Robotic Process Automation and utilization of UIPath Community Suite.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Our solution enables us to serve multiple stakeholders of the medical eco-system: patients, hospitals, pharmacies, diagnostic clinics, insurers, employees and research institutions.
Imagine an inspiring, impact idea or dream that needs the support of a global community to become real. We believe that we have an ambitious wish -- and the vision, pragmatism and leadership to make it a reality. We admire the current efforts in empowering healthcare eco-system towards cost effective delivery of quality healthcare, which have an impressive impact at local, regional, and global levels. We have a mix of subject matter experts and technology focused specialists along with motivated students, technical societies and a network to operationalize innovation in healthcare activities.
What we learned
We realized the need and learned about the different aspects that goes into making a solution usable and understandable by audience with limited technology background -
- Nature of interface: Users need a what you see is what you get kind of an interface. We have experience in developing a spreadsheet like interface for tablets and phones where little or no training is required. UIPath Tools are very good and easy to use. They make a first comer feel like using them and think about a variety of process use-cases, which could made better utilizing the UIPath tools and framework.
- Design Strategy: Having a unified product design strategy following a set of human interface guidelines and instructional design across all the product.
- Development and Customization: Ability to develop and customize on the fly is a need of the hour. UIPath Tools provide a key set of customization features to work with in developing tailor made solutions.
- Knowledge practice : UIPath Tools present an integrated approach for the users using tutorials and examples and effective community building practice.
What's next for Electronic Health Record as a Service, UIPath Integration
Our solution is useful only to the extent it is used by the medical eco-system and healthcare community. Thus, we are working towards developing subject matter expertise in Robotic Process Automation using UIPath Tools and Frameworks along with health specialists around the world to focus on these learning challenges:
- To make our healthcare solution freely and readily available to learners everywhere
- To explore and share best practices
- To provide a forum for discussion and support for technology for learning
- To provide mechanism for evaluation and dissemination of results.
Developing Machine Learning Models for Computer-aided detection of diseases and development of prevention models using Microarray analysis and prediction using Cloud Computing Architectures and UIPath Tools and Automation Suite.