A collaborative platform for learners and educators to secure learning continuity in times of restrictions and beyond.
A simple tool for teachers to create teaching content without any advance knowledge of a tool or code. They create by using various media and graphics from the open stock libraries and merging it with their own content to keep it engaging and diverse. Consider the tool as a "Video Wikipedia for Learners and Creators".
Table of Contents
- About Project
- About Product
- Problem - How do we ensure learning continuity?
- Solution - Online and immersive digitalization of Content, Curriculum, Coaching, and Classroom.
- Prototype & Technology - Rapidly developed, working, and ready for use.
- Goals - Project goals and alignment with the SDGs
- Strategy - Steps to build a sustainable and scalable business
- About Market
- Market Size - Size of impact and response
- Market Shift - Traditional to Transformed Education
- About Impact
- Learner Experience
- Teacher Experience
- Mission and Guidelines
- Next steps
- About Us
- Team & Contacts
Inspiration Theoretical knowledge online is what most universities have achieved, but practical training online so far seems unique. We are building tools to auto-generate (convert) text-based content to video-based online content with an extension towards gamification and immersive techniques for advanced pieces of training.
Vision To ensure learning continuity for all. Standardized education and access to all with equal opportunities to educational processes.
Problem: How do we ensure learning continuity?
In the education system, more than 90% of students are impacted due to school and university closures. Learning has been disrupted due to the pandemic. There is a requirement for a new education model. The map is a depiction of countries that are experiencing lockdown in terms of a countrywide or a localized lockdown. The education sector is affected by these lockdowns. An estimate of 1.5 billion students have been affected worldwide due to the pandemic.
Solution: Online and immersive digitalization of Content, Curriculum, Coaching, and Classroom.
Digitize, Digitalize, and Digitally Transform the processes involved in content creation, sharing, and learning methodologies.
The solution is to tackle the situation by providing the teachers with an assisted course creation tool to develop interactive media lessons for the students. This shift to virtual learning enables students to learn through this digitized media anytime and at any place. In this manner, the teachers, as well as students, can continue the education from a place of safety and protected environment of their homes.
Prototype & Technology: Rapidly developed, working, and ready for use.
Using AI-based text classification methods, we can identify the context of the content and make queries to public video media libraries using APIs. These can be given back to the teachers as an assisted course creation tool to develop interactive digital media lessons for their students.
We offer a tool for teachers. They copy-paste the content they want to convert to a video.
- The AI uses 'sentence detection' algorithms to break the content into scenes or Short or Long intervals (As selected by teacher), the grammar and punctuation are checked by another AI process similar to the common spell-checker.
- Then another AI algorithm detects the important keywords from each scene. This tagging helps in identifying the context of the sentence/scene might be.
- Then we use the open media libraries to check stock videos around those tags and fetch the relevant clips to present back to the teacher to pick. (Until here, the only part the teacher/creator has done is paste the required content, rest all is done automatically.)
- Now the teacher can review the suggested scene sequence, the overlaying text and if everything is correct with prediction, then go ahead and stick the videos together preview and publish.
- If the teacher wants to add narration, or change text, or change video scenes, he would be able to do that and customize the course.
We offer a method for students to participate in applied educational processes from their homes. Many technological mobile devices such as computers and tablets are widely used in homes. These tools are effective for students to be involved in applied training. For the K12 level or up to university students we build video solutions, using simple AI techniques and some APIs available openly (list available on request). We developed endpoints for these services for others to use and innovate their own solutions.
Goals: Project goals and alignment with the SDGs
The importance of education is highlighted in SDG 4 (“Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all”). This goal encompasses various dimensions that are critical to supporting young workers’ transition into the labor market and career progression.
Target 4.3: “By 2030, ensure equal access for all women and men to affordable quality technical, vocational and tertiary education, including university.”
Target 4.4: “By 2030, substantially increase the number of youth and adults who have relevant skills, including technical and vocational skills, for employment, decent jobs and entrepreneurship.”
The main goal of the project is to create an impressive easy-to-use website. The marketing of this site will emphasize its educational value for students, teachers, companies that provide educational services. A feature of the website and pages on social networks will be the presence of a chatbot to improve navigation, technical support, and collect feedback and suggestions from learners.
Strategy: Steps to build a sustainable and scalable business
The theoretical form of learning may not be as efficient as practical learning. Thus, the effective means to enhance virtual teaching is the tool proposed in this plan. Based on our survey, teachers are finding it hard to adapt to the digital means of teaching. The requirement for a new education model has risen. The major problem is for the teachers to convert their teaching material into digitized content. Thus, the technicians in the team are developing a simple tool that will assist the teachers. It will make the process for conversion from normal text-based content into digitized content easier. The teachers can develop and deliver classes through media platforms using this tool. Currently, media platforms allow the addition of material for reference by the students. Thus, the teachers would prefer the new platform which creates media files for them. The children will benefit from the ideology of immersive and in-depth education. The new education model will ensure that the impact of the global virus pandemic is not too severe in the education sector.
- About Market Market Size: Size of impact and responses
Learning disrupted for all children and youth through 5-21 ages.
The target customer segments are the majority of the teachers who have a lack of knowledge to conduct these lectures via online tools. They will prefer this tool to create online versions of their courses. The students as well are the second target customers as they will also prefer online learning due to the global pandemic. The various other schools and universities are also a target market as they require such education models and tools to assist smooth learning in their institutions. This tool will be a potential product all institutions might prefer for conducting education.
Market Shift: Traditional to Transformed Education
Learner Experience & Teacher Experience
Mission and Guidelines
Develop and implement 'digital by default' policies across all public services, to demonstrate the benefits of digitization (of services) for people's daily lives and encourage digital adoption and skills. These policies should ensure a high level of awareness, accessibility, user-friendliness, and inter-operability and take into account the particular requirements of persons with disabilities and age-related limitations. They should also include incentives and support for the use of digital services, adapted to the needs of different groups.
- Increase and improve continuous professional development for teachers and trainers to raise their awareness as well as the level of digital skills, help them understand the impact of digital technologies on their specific subject, and encourage them to use innovative/digital pedagogies.
- Encourage teachers to create digital content, including learning materials. Provide guidance to teachers for schools, universities.
- Identify the main groups within the population with no or low levels of digital skills (e.g. low educated, elderly, low income, disabled, etc.), determine the specific issues they face and develop tailor-made support for each group in order to encourage their use of digital technologies and the development of digital skills.
- Design and implement low-threshold, tailor-made, basic digital skills (digital competence) training and further education opportunities for people with low levels of digital skills, including in particular the elderly, people with a low level of education, people with disabilities and people with a migration background.
- Make better use of the EU skills panorama, which could help better assess and anticipate skill needs and make education and training systems more responsive to labor market needs
What we learned
To study and communicate a lot with people from different fields to form an integrated approach to solving the problem. Teaming up with total strangers and still acting together.
Next Steps Even after the crisis, the solution will be a DIY help to teachers to automatically convert their lectures and notes to digital content with simple tools and minimum tech knowledge. An immersive approach for all regardless of their income level, technology level, or age.
The solution will be a DIY help to teachers to automatically convert their lectures and notes to digital content with simple tools and minimum tech knowledge. An immersive approach for all regardless of their income level, technology level, or age. The teachers with a lack of knowledge can also use this tool simply by the operation of copy-paste.
- Immersive and applied training is a new concept that will attract students to gain knowledge.
- A plug-n-play integration with universities with easy adoption.
- Digital content generation can also be expanded to other applications like memos, university announcements, news, etc.
- Teachers are technically challenged and cannot generate their own digital content.
- The tool is extremely simple and has been curated by keeping customer satisfaction, ease of use as major priorities.
- We have hosted a mock prototype on http://videowiki.pt/, in this link the working is explained in the video.