Inspiration

I came up with this idea a while back when I got frustrated with all the paper ads in the commons at Rice. It's not only a waste of paper, but also is a hassle to distribute, and is left weeks after it's relevance expires. I thought of it as a cool exercise to teach myself Android programming, and it came up again as the inspiration for our hackathon!

What it does

It's divided into two applications. The first one will be the billboard itself, which is an app that takes the data from a Google Drive folder and displays all the advertisements with a horizontally scrolling screen. The final product will respond to updates in the folder in the appropriate order, and remove them if they correspond to an event once it expires.

The second is an application that handles the content in the Google Drive folder. It has two levels of access: users who can submit content, and admins who can submit and curate it.

How we built it

We collectively used Android Studio and tested it on my Samsung Tablet for a proof-of-concept demonstration. We used Google Drive's API.

Challenges we ran into

Nobody on the team had any prior experience in Android programming, making every step of progress a struggle. At the end of the hackathon, we were unable to implement the next-level functionality of our application.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We were able to implement an E-Billboard that would display all of the images in a folder. More importantly, we all learned a significant amount about Android programming.

What's next for E-Board

Implementing the higher-level functions of both applications and integrating them. Next goals would be categorizing advertisements as an interest group/club or an event, improving the UI by organizing fliers by popularity and relevance, migrating the second application to a webpage, and gathering analytics from the app and webpage usage to provide user feedback.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates