Inspiration

We were inspired by children who cannot read or write properly. Our project goal was to help dyslexic students to read better while helping them expand their educational knowledge. Our inspiration were children, who were not receiving equal education as a normal student due to their learning disability. They are an inspiration to us due to them valiantly facing challenges in their daily lives.

What it does

Our project takes an image or a pdf, and scans it to extract the words. The words are then displayed one at a time, at an adjustable speed of 250 words a minute. We have a website as well, which includes the picture gallery, our team, and an in-depth description about our project. Our website essentially tell you everything you need to know about our current project version

How we built it

Our project is made using python 3, and uses a GUI (Graphical User Interface) made from pyqt5. The project has three main phases, or steps; the image upload and processing, the extraction of text from an image, and finally the conversion of text to displayed words on a GUI. Our project works with a user-submitted image, which is then processed using the pillow library. The image is made more clear, and a gaussian blur effect is applied to make it easier to extract text from. The text is extracted using the pytesseract library, which is split into words. The split words are displayed on a GUI, according to a reading speed of 250 (Adjustable) words per minute. This is an optimal reading speed and can help people with dyslexia read much faster since the words are being displayed once at a time.

We created the website mostly using Html and CSS with some JavaScript. We used some external fonts and CDN's (Content Delivery Network). We also tried to keep up with the CitroHacks theme, like its signature blue background.

Challenges we ran into

We struggled a bit in settling on one idea, we had tons of ideas in mind to work on, but we were having difficulties choosing one to start. Second problem we faced was that we were not able to integrate the reader to a website, as none of us were familiar with Flask or Django. Similarly we have had issues implementing pytesseract since it required a few specialized installations.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We are proud that we were able to create the project on time. We struggled a bit while settling on one idea, but after all our challenges and difficulties, we worked hard and made it here.

What we learned

We have learned a lot while working together, time management was one the most important concepts we had to learn. In our team everyone was working from a different time zone, which varied a lot. This really helped us to adjust and work together. We even learned a lot from each other, working as a team was a really great experience for all of us. We also learnt the importance of organization, since we had to work on different portions at different times. It was important to have an understanding of everything from start to finish.

What's next for Dyslexia Reader

Even after the Hackathon, we look forward to working on this project together as a team. As we think we can bring our reader in a website, which will become more user friendly. As of now, not everyone can use it. So we have planned to work on this project every week for at least a few hours. We look forward to helping many people, so that we can help enhance their reading skills. We work with new ideas like adding an audiobook or so.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates