Website

DysKyle

Notes

We made a Wix & Velo site for hosting materials. We also have the domain (dyskyleculia.tech).

Inspiration

We had done an in-person hackathon in the past where we worked a similar Arduino based hack, but for pattern recognition relating to dyslexia. We decided to transition to another learning disability, dyscalculia because of the sensors and materials hardware wise that we had available.

What it does

Our project is a gamified prototype for a handheld game device that enables children to play and learn with it. The goal is to count and match the 2 screens to have the same number of dots using the control buttons. Consequently, it can reveal whether or not player has basic math comprehension with counting, which is something those with dyscalculia can't do very well, especially at a young age without treatment.

How we built it

Our project is built using an Arduino nano controlling the 2 LCD screens along with an additional Arduino uno for power supply to the LCDs. We used 3 buttons along with a lot of resistors and jumper wires. It's programmed in C++.

Challenges we ran into

We ran into issues with power supply, difficulty managing wiring, disagreement on ideas, and delegating the workload.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We managed to achieve functionality on our hardware hack and it's playable.

What we learned

It is important to plan topics ahead of time in order to ensure that we have a topic that everyone can participate in equally.

What's next for DysKyleCulia.Tech

Perhaps next hackathon we will do another learning disability and we can make a collection of related projects.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates