We wished to create an environmentally friendly streaming service, which is why our creation focuses on only natural issues. We took inspiration from Hack the Valley's colour palette to form our own user interface and other streaming services to provide a more specialized field of topics.
What it does
Our web application, DubeTube, aims to be a green streaming service! With DubeTube, you can broaden your horizons as a good citizen of the planet by uploading videos about nature and the like, or watching and commenting on videos about nature and similar things. DubeTube has many cool features such as automatic video transcription and summarization; video search by tags or title using heuristics and algorithms; and home page recommendations based on cookies. You can also share videos with your friends using a QR code as the web is constantly evolving.
How we built it
We used Flask for our backend, which allowed us to access several other neat features that Python has—such as Cohere's natural language processing, a library for processing QR codes, speech recognition, and other tools.
Challenges we ran into
- We faced many issues while trying to design a modern website interface with CSS—many times, we wouldn't get the result that we wished for.
- The process of classifying a video as being relevant to nature or not also proved a challenge. It took lots of debugging before we were properly able to extract the audio file, covert it from speech to text, and finally classify it.
- Merge conflicts often caused us to spend more time than necessary fixing issues when our written code would disappear.
- Connecting to WiFi also proved a challenge sometimes as at one point, two of our four members didn't have access to WiFi on their laptops.
- Domain procuring
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We decided to build something using technology that we haven't used before. By constantly working, learning, and persevering throughout the night, we were able to create a functional product before the end of the hackathon.
What we learned
- How to use Cohere
- Usage of cookies
- How to work as a team
- How to work together effectively (e.g. splitting tasks)
- How to communicate effectively
- How to do speech to text
- How to split audio files from video files
- How to create QR codes
- How to navigate documentation
- How to debug effectively
- How to research
What's next for DubeTube
- Creating web3 authentication
- Improving security
- Mobile integration
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.