What it does
- Offers a convenient lending solution powered and backed by real people
- Grants the opportunity for small, short-term loads for those most in need, without a hard bar to entry
- Provides means for donors to make a significant and targeted impact in their community at it's point of most need
How we built it
Droplet relies on a RESTful API, served from a MySQL database over PHP. The code for this is a fork of mevdschee/php-crud-api. The front-end is made with love from scratch in Android Studio, using Java and XML.
Challenges we ran into
JSON parsing is evil. Multithreading within a custom ListView adapter even moreso.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We all worked out of our comfort zone on this one, either on database hooks or UI/UX, and it paid off. This is a ridiculously smooth app!
What we learned
It may take two hours for one error, but you will always find your worst mistakes! Also, High Brew coffee is life.
What's next for Droplet
We plan to continue to work over the next months on:
- PayPal integration
- Predictive credit analysis using machine learning models and big data analysis
- Integrating blockchain into the SQL backend
- 501(c)(3) nonprofit status and establishment of a private escrow
- Further improving usability for both lenders and borrowers