Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) frequently changes drone laws, but most US citizens aren't familiar with the details and the enforcement of these legislations. What if we could build a drone navigator app that helps you seamlessly follow all of the FAA regulation without any effort?
It's as easy as running one
- A web-based drone navigator app that lets you control your drone with a PlayStation DualShock 4 controller and/or a keyboard
- Provides dynamic local airspace regulatory information such as altitude (not available indoor), prohibited airspaces, and potentially dangerous weather
- Real-time video stream of the drone's first-person camera right on your browser
- Extract real-time geolocation data using the Parrot Bebop drone's embedded GPS module
- Reverse-engineered AirMap to extract dynamic airspace data and overlay the regulatory information on top of Mapbox's vector map.
- Integrate the Bebop drone and all of the input/output devices together with Cylon.js
- Update and maintain communication channel with Socket.IO
Challenges we ran into
- Reverse-engineering AirMap's closed SDK to extract data
- Integrating multiple input devices (PlayStation DualShock 4, keyboard)