Inspiration

As new drivers, the world around us can become extremely clustered. Having a wide range of tools to help us drive safer and more efficiently seemed like an amazing idea. The theme of this hackathon was to quantify oneself, and while quantifying and gathering vital data about oneself is important, what's more important is quantifying our safety. It was necessary to create an apparatus that kept new drivers focused and away from potential dangers caused by simple human error. We wanted to bring a vast array of technology into our daily lives, and Drivr was the best way to do so.

What it does

Drivr is a multifunctional hud that displays important data when driving, like the speed limit, swerve data and concentration data which all get collected and parsed onto the screen. This data can be used for insurance companies to find out information about their client’s speeding trends or reckless driving trends like swerving. The information data is used to prevent car accidents caused by distractions on the road.

How we built it

Using our previous knowledge from ios app development and pebble app development, we used node.js to connect the pebble smartwatch, muse headband, and myo armband to gather information relating to the user's driving. Accelerometer data was taken from all devices and was calculated to show a variety of results.

Challenges we ran into

Throughout the project, we faced a variety of roadblocks (no pun intended). Because of our inexperience with both the muse and the myo, it was hard to gather information at first, but after hours of trial and error, we were able to display dynamic and accurate data that related to the user’s driving ability.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

As the project progressed, new breakthroughs in our code began to arise. To list a few of our achievements, the implementation of the myo armband, and the song changing feature that came with it helped make the project more fun and overall better. To add, the display of dynamic accelerometer data on the screen was a huge success that helped make the augmented reality aspect of the application much better.

What we learned

Throughout the project, we were frustrated with results that didn't seem appropriate to the application at hand. Over time we realized that working as a team, and using all of our minds at the same time helped solve the issue. This project not only taught us the ins and outs of the hardware we used, but it also taught us how to be a team.

What's next for Drivr

We hope that Drivr will be able to support all os's and will have a more efficient heads-up display that would be built in all cars in the near future.

Share this project:
×

Updates