Since drivers are an essential part of the school/college bus transportation system, they should be alert while driving the vehicle as students entirely depend on them in case of any emergency. Thus there are specific problems that need to be explicitly addressed. Some of them are:
- Driver Drowsiness Detection
- Collision Detection
- Smoking And Driving
What it does: ⚙️
Driver drowsiness detection
It is a car safety technology that helps prevent accidents caused by the driver getting drowsy.
- It warns the driver of drowsiness and the risk of a microsleep.
- Compliance with driver warnings helps to avoid crashes caused by fatigue.
- This system can measure the distance between the driving bus and the front object and can calculate the safety distance of the driving car based on current speed, and accordingly to the distance beep the safety buzzer.
- If the driver doesn't keep the minimum safety distance with the front object, it will warn the driver to slow down the speed of the car to avoid a collision.
- The exciting feature is that we are providing safety not only for the front view but also for the right and left views.
- A smoke detector is a device that senses smoke, typically as an indicator of fire.
- Commercial security devices issue a signal to a fire alarm control panel as part.
- Ionization-type smoke alarms have a small amount of radioactive material between two electrically charged plates, which ionizes the air and causes current to flow between the plates.
- When smoke enters the chamber, it disrupts the flow of ions, thus reducing the flow of current and activating the alarm.
Challenges we ran into:⚠️
For Smoke & Collision Detection we were using different microcontrollers but it was difficult to send alert messages to organizations or admin, so we came to the conclusion that we will use Node MCU Micro Controller in which we can send alert messages by using BLYNK server & SMS API.
Accomplishments that we're proud of: 👩💼🧑💻
- We are proud to make this project functional and working to maintain a person's safety while driving /traveling.
- As some of our team members are new to this hackathon, we are immensely proud of achieving a good team contribution with each of the members has contributed to the project in some way or the other.
What we learned: ⚓
While building the prototype we learned to integrate the software with the hardware.
Also we explored how to work on different sensors & get the data on our dashboard.
We also learned about different libraries of python.
What's next for Driver Safety Detection System: 🚀
We are working to let this device reach out to all school buses for students' safety. We will also integrate a feature that notifies teachers if any accident takes place. Trying to lower the selling cost so that it reaches out to the maximum audience to ensure their safety.