We know how the outbreak of COVID-19 has created a global health crisis that has had a deep impact on the way we perceive our world and our everyday lives. Everyone is working from home and are advised not to go out and stay inside.
What it does
Once the site is opened, you can select from the options provided over there to visit the place of your own choice, and our website would provide you the real-time virtual experience of yourself being at that place and enjoying the view, it's beauty. If you wish to switch to some other place after visiting some particular place and having fun out there, you will be having the option to switch to other destinations as well. In this way, we would like to provide the user of our website the experience of a holiday trip with the comfort of their home and also not abiding the rules of lockdown.
- The transformative nature of VR can offer a bridging solution for those with wanderlust.
- Virtual reality in tourism allows visitors to learn the names and locations of all the significant sights in the world.
- Tourists can also look inside significant locations to determine if they would indeed want a real-time walkthrough of such sights
- For entertainment purpose
- VR is able to activate the emotions by stimulating the users' senses. Because with virtual reality users are able to interact within the experience. This creates a great opportunity for the entire travel industry, especially for tourist destinations.
- Cost-effective: It doesn't require any VR controllers. Also, it's built on google cardboard so it can be easily used on cheap VR boxes.
- It can be accessed from any corner of the world.
How I built it
Challenges I ran into
The biggest challenge was setting up the layout and the gaze pointer. Understanding that most of us don't have access to VR controllers we didn't go with it and thought to take gaze pointer for locating places. Knowing the fact that sharp colors can cause eye damage we preferred to edit the images with mild stack colors so that users' eyes don't get hurt and he can have a better experience.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
We are proud that we were able to make a proper executable website that would provide a user with high-class experience both on the phone and desktop browser. One more thing which we accomplished is providing better user interaction with the developer so that the user can ask for what he wants. For example, If a user wants to visit a particular location then he or she can directly communicate to us through the website. To have a better experience users are recommended to install google cardboard app on their phones.
What I learned
Team collaboration and time management are the two things that we learned while doing this project. Along with this, we came across many new technologies such as webVR and A-Frame and how they can be an alternative for mobile VR apps. I also learn how we can build cost-effective solutions for the people who need it.
What's next for Dreamy_VR_Tour
In the future, we hope to add more destinations to the framework, as well as innovate the way in which we present the information to our users. We are also thinking to integrate voice interaction with this project so that users can easily ask about the place and get information regarding it. The limitation which would come in our way would be high bandwidth consumption which we are thinking to reduce by using RESTful API.