Inspiration

The idea originated as a way to identify plants using binary choices to reach the plant name. Plants are a bit of a niche topic so we decided to focus on something a bit more fun: dreams.

What it does

The website we made accumulates a story based on the user's choice between two options at any given point. By the end of the choices, the user has a creative story only possible in one's dreams.

How we built it

We used Java for the data structure and backend coding with JavaScript as the language for the GUI.

Challenges we ran into

We ran into challenges breaching the Java and JavaScript portions of the project. Our original intent was to obtain a domain from domain.com however we realized late in the game that domain.com doesn't accommodate JavaScript well.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

This was the first Hackathon for all the members of our team so we're proud we could put something on the table. We're proud to have made something creative and fun that will make users smile.

What we learned

When we started the project none of us knew JavaScript so it was definitely a journey to reach our end goal. We also reached some barriers late in the game that could have been prevented by checking if our assumptions were true.

What's next for Dreams: A DIY Solution

While our stories are fun to read, they were even more fun to make. If we were to continue with Dreams: A DIY Solution we would add a feature where the user can enter in their own storylines and create a choose your own adventure to share with their friends.

Share this project:

Updates