Inspiration

It's hard to adjust to college. One of the key difficulties we as new students had was keeping track of what we were eating. It's hard to gauge what's healthy and what's not on campus, and it is imperative that new students maintain a healthy lifestyle. We were inspired to come up with a student-friendly way to centralize the important information.

What it does

Provides up to date nutrition facts for all food served at Stevens to help students make intelligent choices. It also provides an interface for users to enter their personal health related information so that we can give them eating advice. Given more time to expand on the project, functionalities such as personalized diet plans and more up to date, and better stored food data would be added.

How we built it

We built our web app using HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript and Google's Firebase framework. We adhered to common web development standards and built our app's back end and front end at the same time.

Challenges I ran into

Coming up with features that we could implement in a reasonable amount of time was hard. Sometimes we overestimated the time that some seemingly simple tasks would take.

Working with Firebase, which is something none of us had experience with was hard. Unfortunately in the final product, while we do have working JavaScript code for uploading food entries to a database, we could not figure out how to retrieve the data and display it on the webpage. Centering elements with CSS was also difficult.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

Coming up with a beautiful design, learning more about databases, and being able to work effectively as a team to come up with an awesome idea and product.

What I learned

How the different web languages bring everything together, about databases, and how to work as a team to develop.

What's next for Dorm Diets

Improved UI, more robust advice giving features, log-in accounts for storing data, more up to date food information in database, easy method for entering new food items, etc.

Share this project:
×

Updates