Sleeping in is a real problem that our team struggles with - and I'm sure you can think of at least one other person that keeps being late to their morning commitments! Often, this is because we can get generous with our snooze button. With Dooze, you will be put accountable for waking up when you actually said you were going to wake up - with your wallet and your friends!
What it does
Dooze has multiple functions. If you snooze, you will be charged money for that privilege at increasing increments via your credit card stored via Braintree. Then, if you snooze too long - we send an automated message to a friend who will then call you, or automate a phone call to do that via the Twilio API. The alarm is turned on and off via Alexa - and if you snooze too long - you will be asked a medium-difficulty maths question before it will switch off!
How we built it
Using Ruby on Rails for most of the logic, with Alexa written in node.
Challenges we ran into
- Had a problem with Heroku deployment that caught us offguard at the last moment
- We wanted to build a physical challenge using the gyroscope in the JBL headphones but ran out of time
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Alexa integration
- Drinking many cans of red bull
What we learned
- How to integrate so many APIs!
What's next for Dooze
- Build an iOS version of the web interface