We are inspired by the very feasible prospect of combining spatial computing and robotics to do something as meaningful as growing food...
where there wasn't before,
by the average person - like us.
What it does:
dew•E solves for the creation and maintenance of a food-producing garden. dew•E provides the path of least resistance for people and communities to grow their own food.
dew•E consists of a user experience empowered by AR + cloud analytics + robotic automation.
The AR app assists the user plan, plant and predict their garden harvests with the robot tasked to provide a per plant status update.
How I intend to built it:
- We plan to use the Unity to develop a way to survey a plot, recognize individual plants and task our robot to perform periodic tasks for each plant.
- We are going to design an intuitive, mixed reality interface that allows a user to see the status of each plant, updated from the robot.
- We intend to use our Segway Loomo robot to serve as our semi-autonomous robot for this hackathon.
- We are using Tensorflow object recognition libraries to serve as navigation for our robot.
- Our cloud stack enables the user to interact with the robot and send data back and forth.
Challenges that we are running into:
- Developing a recognition system for plants.
- Getting the robot to navigate its surroundings effectively.
- Making the user experience easy to interact with.
This same core team has previously won an VR/AR AT&T Hackathon in Bellevue WA in Feb. 2017. See this link for winning project details: [https://www.thegrid.ai/carrottop/]
What's next for dew•E - Gardening with AR with robot tasking
- Continue with creating a minimum viable technology demo prior to a MVP