With many of the beaches either closed or extremely crowded because of the COVID-19 lockdown, going to the beach these days is hard. We though of creating a way of taking a piece the beach experience home or wherever you go.
🏖 What it does
Desktop sandcastles in an AR application that allows you to detect the surfaces around you and start constructing virtual sand castles on your own virtual beach no matter where you are!
🛠️ How we built it
Languages\Editors: C#, Unity3D, Android Studio
Frameworks\Development Kits: Google AR Core, AR Core Foundations, JDK, Android SDK
🚧 Challenges we ran into
- Developing in a AR framework for the first time
- Plane detection / Touch screen block-placing
- AR Device Compatibility Issues
✅ Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Building a realtime 3D AR application
- Sand castle building system
- Plane raycast detection system
💡 What we learned
- Learned how to develop AR applications!
- AR Core Foundations Unity package
- Developing for Android for the first time
💭 What's next for Desktop Sandcastles
Multiplayer Sandcastles!! AR Core Foundation already has some Cloud multiplayer foundations and we would love to be able to make this application live multiplayer in the future. Bring the beach and your friends to your beaches wherever you go!