I am a student that try to learn as many new word as possible. So this skill helps me to learn new words by telling me the meaning of the new word.
What it does
This is a Amazon Alexa Skills that will help you to get the meaning of new words. You can ask questions like
Tell me the meaning of Love or
What is the the meaning of Love.
How I built it
I have never build this type of application before so I have followed links from the resources tab and the Amazon Alexa documentation. I have used python 2.7 to build this skill and the backend is hosted on AWS Lambda. I have also used BeautifulSoup Python Library to dynamically get the meaning from the web pages.
Challenges I ran into
I have faced many issues while building this entire project.
- I have learnt how to use Amazon AWS to host the Amazon Skills Kit backend.
- I have learnt about scrapping page using BeautifulSoap.
- I have changed the maximum execution time to 10 seconds so that the content is retrieved properly. But I have to improve it more so that it becomes more responsive.
- 5. I have to create the deployment package for this project as it uses BeautifulSoup that is not by default included in AWS Lambda.
While there are other issues also but with awesome Amazon Alexa and Amazon AWS documentation these problems can be easily solved by anyone.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
Finally now Alexa can tell me the meaning of the words. Ask Alexa :)
Below is the link to get the details about enabling the skill on your device.
What I learned
- How t use Amazon AWS Lamda.
- How to do web scrapping using BeautifulSoup library in Python 2.7
- Last but the major How to create Amazon Alexa Skills Kit.
What's next for Define Word
I will try to improve it in my free time.