- Solving coding assignments/exercises are easier said than done!
- To many, thinking of a solution to approach a LeetCode style problem isn't hard, but translating it into code causes many programmers to hit a coding block similar to a writers block that an author may experience.
- Unable to move forward, you become further stuck under the time pressure of the assignment resorting to external sources such as Stack Overflow, Chegg, Course Hero and more.
- Not only does this put you at risk of plagiarism, but it also hinders your ability to learn and move forward as a programmer!
⚙️ What it does
- de-duck allows one to move forward with a video based style approach that allows beginner to expert level programmers get a guided solution from mentors to any problem!
- Uses discord for mentor and mentee authentication to ensure our platform is a safe environment for all individuals
🛠 How we built it
- For the backend we used node, and express
- We used supabase for authentication and to store requests to a database
- Used Web RTC with socket.io
- Deployed the front end on vercel and backend on google cloud
💣 Challenges we ran into
- One challenge was maintaining a high retention rate to keep mentors and mentees on the platform, as once a relationship between a mentor was formed, our web app becomes obsolete
- Developed a tier program for mentors, so that they get rewarded for continuous involvement through our web app
- Keeps mentors on the web app thus forcing mentees to continue using our platform
- Second challenge we ran into was pushing things from local to production because things started to break and fall apart very easily.
🏆 Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Ability to implement discord to authenticate logins as it was something we were all new too
- Used discord webhooks to push requests directly to a discord server where Mentors have the ability to view requests and click to join the web app meeting seamlessly!
- Created a very material and simple UI that has high functionality and simplicity which is something that is hard to find.
📚 What we learned
- Grasped a bigger knowledge on devops
- Production builds are different than development builds.
- How to use google cloud
- Planning is key to staying on track as a team
⏭️ What's next for de-duck
- Introduce a pricing based subscription service
- Offers students to ask a set limit of questions in return of a fixed rate
- Encourages students to ask more questions and retain the subscription service so that we can improve and reinvest back into the platform.