Just came to hack and have fun while learning new technologies (Sokect.io and Containers!!!)
What it does
It's a multi-game mode snakes application that works in real-time and allows two people with an internet connection from around the world to play CycleSnakes.
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
A really complex problem we ran into was that when hooking up our express.js and node our socket.io connection was hooking up to the hidden server (bin -> www) that was running instead of our main app.js server that was running. Finally, after 9 hours of self trying, 3 hours of a mentors assistance and one more mentor helping for 6 minutes we solved it and regained hope!
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Sending data back and forth while using persistence to keep a constant game frame without any drops
- Hosting on Cycle's back-end with an incredebily small image (20mb instead of the standard 1GB from Docker's templates)
- Multiple game modes!
What we learned
- How to use Socket.io and build a fully functioning app with it
- Container's and the future of Back-End Hosting
- Docker Images and how to minimize the size (by over 1000%)
What's next for CycleSnake
- A Leader board system
- Interpolation of snake's footprint data (For people with even slower wifi's or longer latency)